Tips for Blood Donors
To ensure the safety and well-being of all blood donors, the American Red Cross recommends the following tips:
Prior to donating blood
- Eat a proper meal and avoid caffeine
- Drink approximately 16 ounces of water to remain well-hydrated.
- Wear a shirt with loose or short sleeves.
- Have a form of identification (driver’s license or Mcard is ok)
- Remain relaxed, as this will allow easy blood withdrawal with less pain.
Post blood donation
- Consume snacks + drinks provided at canteen prior to leaving the drive.
- Inform the nurse or a volunteer if there should be any feelings of illness.
- For the following 24 to 48 hours, stay well-hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids.